Prof. Dr. med. Dr. med. dent. Dr. rer. medic. Dr. h.c. Nkenke (www.emeka-nkenke.com) is Professor and Head of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery of the General Hospital of Vienna, Austria. He is also a consultant to the Wiener Privatklinik and runs a private practice.
Prof. Nkenke is dually qualified as a doctor as well as a dentist. He also holds a doctorate in theoretical medicine. Prof. Nkenke has a deep commitment to innovation when he practices oral and maxillofacial surgery. He uses the latest technology to the benefit of his patients. He is specialized in virtual surgical planning and the use of patient-specific implants in orthognathic surgery, craniofacial surgery and reconstructive surgery. Prof. Nkenke has pioneered guided dental implant surgery.
Further evidence of his commitment to innovation are new techniques he pioneered on free flap jaw reconstruction for cancer patients. This is a microsurgical technique which enables large defects in the face and jaws to be repaired.
Prof. Nkenke has a special dedication to the treatment of cleft lip and palate malformations. Since two decades he is performing primary (closure of lip and palate) and secondary (bone grafting of the maxilla, rhinoplasty, advancement of the maxilla) operations. His armamentarium also includes distraction osteogenesis.
Prof. Nkenke holds the positions of the Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery and a Section Editor of the International Journal of Maxillofacial Surgery.
He is also active in undergraduate and postgraduate education. Prof. Nkenke gives webinars on a regular basis. He has run several national and international congresses.
- 2019 - present Editor-in-chief of the Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery
- 2014 - present Professor and Head of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
- 2014 Professor and Head of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Halle University Hospital, Germany
- 2009 - 2014 Full Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
- 2004 - 2009 Associate Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany